Sunday, July 31, 2011

Fish!

Jeanette- stoked on how good her fillet looks!

I look forward to fish every summer- more explicitly of the KING SALMON variety. There is nothing like Wild Alaskan Salmon fresh out of the water- don't every let anyone tell you any different!

I even cut my fish with my new ulu

I have issues with my ability to fillet and put away the fish for our long winter, I'm embarassed to admit my fillet-ing ability is not what it should be. That, however, changed this summer. Practice makes perfect after all.

I hired (ha not really) two very experienced teachers for my Sister and I to walk us through step by step on how to fillet, brine and hang our King Salmon to make a yummy three day smoked fish (which we can and then use in dips, casseroles, soups- you name it). My Mom and Aunt Emily stepped in and walked us through the process.

Mom hard at work with the monster King Fillet's

Aunt Em with the strips in brine


We spent a few hours processing 7 Kings- they were big suckers. Filled up our smoke house. On the third day a bear decided to sample our hard work. Yes, a bear. He was not invited. The bugger got about 2/3 of our hard, hard work. He's been coming back to visit just about every night since..... but we are done so haha Mr. Bear!

Regardless of our little bear episode we still got quite a few cans of fish made and they look gorgeous. Play your cards right and you might just get one.

No comments: