Saturday, July 23, 2011

The Smoky Mountains


Thanks to our friend Opie I got to spend the afternoon and evening in the Great Smoky Mountains of Tennessee. What a blast, and what awesome scenery. We crossed the Tennessee border into North Carolina so I was in two states this trip. I didn't realize we were that close to NC! So on my travels this summer I was in WA, GA, MN, TN, NC, CO and WY (counting just airport stops)!!! Too much, I'll never travel this much again..... well at least not for a long time!

Opie and I took a little hike (that felt like 10 miles to me straight up!!) to get to the "third highest peak in the south". It was worth the sweat, the view was unbelievable.

We had fun driving around the mountains and Opie liked that at this higher elevation (6,000 ft +) it was SO much cooler than in Pigeon Forge and where he lives. Which is good to know. He was telling me that in his house hunt he couldn't believe that some of the houses that he looked at didn't have air conditioning! So, needless to say, he thinks Tennessee is as hot and humid as I did/do.

Did I mention I got to see one of the starting points for the Appalachian Trail or the "AT"? I read "A Walk to Remember" by Bill Bryson this winter for our local book club and really enjoyed it. He recounts his attempt to hike the entire trail with an old college friend. Most parts were very funny, I would recommend reading it. I hope to one day be in good enough shape to be able to attempt a partial hike.

No comments: