Saturday, October 02, 2010

Holy Po-na-noes!

I mean potatoes, but you know what I mean.

We picked our potatoes last week, right before our garden was covered in snow. It was a family affair- at least for a little while. Although it was about 11:00 in the morning there was no sun on the garden yet and it was freez-ing! Kiley lasted for about 10 minutes until she had to go and warm up, Kalin was a trooper and picked til the end. She was excited as I was to "dig for treasure" aka the potatoes.

We planted 10 lbs of red seed potatoes and got 25 lbs. I was impressed at the average size of these guys!
We planted 10 lbs of Yukon Gold potatoes and picked 50 lbs out of our garden. Their average size was what I would call spectacular- if you can really call the size of a potato "spectacular." The majority of what we dug up was as big as, if not bigger, than what we would buy here in town.

It was a great harvest. We are excited to have our own home grown potatoes for the winter!

No comments: