Thursday, October 04, 2012

Harvest!



Fall~ after our first frost, it's harvest time.

We picked our potatoes in three shifts this year, about one row at a time.  We planted Yukon Gold, red and a purple variety this year.  I picked these in the picture above from the first row after a wicked storm knocked a bunch of our potato plants flat.  I was very disappointed in the size of our red potatoes, but happy with the purple. Honestly I was very worried that I had killed all of our potatoes before I even stuck them in the ground.  I had a 3 1/2 month old and not much energy to plant potatoes so they were out on the deck getting "hardened" for about a week........

I grabbed a few of our carrots from our greenhouse- a purple haze and a Napoli. They tasted as good as they look!  Our carrots turned out pretty good this year ~ but they were mostly small, but still sweet and crunchy.  We have two more growing in our greenhouse, I think they will end up being just a bit bigger than the ones in the picture above.


I thought I would make potato picking interesting this year- $5 for the biggest potato!

The girls were enthusiastic for the first row they picked, not so much after that. They missed out! Look at the winners this year:


They are HUGE!!

 I'm so proud.
My uncle told me that potatoes are somewhere around $17 for a 10# bag here in DLG- Yikes! We will be saving a ton of money this year. The girls are already asking me to make a ton of potato dishes. Number one on the list? GB's potato burritos!


I wonder how these purple ones will taste in a burrito?

No comments: