Sunday, September 18, 2011

Strawberries!

Kalin got to pick a "big" one

Kiley filling her bowl

It is mid-September and we are still enjoying the fruits of our Spring labor!

We planted our strawberry garden last year and we were so excited when we were able to harvest 9 strawberries. Nine, yes nine. This year we started picking our strawberries in August and have continued picking those juicy little bad boys well into September. They are so gorgeous.

We have picked from our garden three different times so far this summer/ fall (along with some sampling on my part and I'm sure some secret picking sthat I am not aware of)- I would guess a total of at least 40. There are still so many waiting to ripen, I am hoping that first real frost hangs back for just a little bit longer.

The girls get so excited whenever they see red ones that are ready to pick, and aren't so willing to share.... so I need more sampling before they are gone until next year.

We don't feel quite so jealous now when Papa and Gram tell us about all the berries they are picking in WA. Gotta love Alaska and this long harvest period, it sure is fantastic this year.

No comments: