Monday, April 11, 2011

Desperate

Let me start this by telling you that it was 10 degrees at our house this morning when we woke up. Ten, t-e-n. It is April 12th.

It always seems like an act of desperation this time of year- planting that is. Desperate to feel dirt, warm sun and to see GREEN things growing.

We could feel it though so Jon and I decided that we were going to do some planting on Sunday. We broke out the seeds, and then decided to look for our potting soil. We faced our first hurdle there. The potting soil was stored outside under the back deck and was pretty much frozen solid.

Second hurdle- I usually store my pots in our crawl space but this year we thought it would be a great idea to store them in our newly constructed green house. Perfect, no dirt in the house! Easy access! Right?

Um... wrong.

This is our green house. As of yesterday. Yes it is covered in snow, lots and lots of snow.

See that little crack at the top of the door? I could peek in and see the temperature in the green house- it was 64 degrees in there. Ahhh, we won't feel that heat until at least June.

Third hurdle: Jon and I thought we could easily dig out the door so we dug this path. Cute isn't it? I was thinking whoo hoo planting here we come! Then Jon discovered the 6 inches of ice covering the bottom of the door and my dreams of planting went down the tube.

Spring in Alaska..... gotta love it!

No comments: